News Store
Important notice to all NewStore users. The NewsStore service is now free! Please click here for more information. Help

The Sydney Morning Herald


Author: JOHN MACDONALD and Dave Hadfield for last six paragraphs
Date: 03/07/1988
Words: 531
          Publication: Sydney Morning Herald
Section: Sport
Page: 57
The Australian selectors have named an unchanged team to play Great Britain in the third Rugby League Test at the Sydney Football Stadium next Saturday.

Australia secured the Ashes with a 34-14 win in the second Test at Lang Park last Tuesday night and no changes had been expected.

The team medical examination will be at the stadium at 10 am today. Brisbane players Wally Lewis and Greg Conescu will be checked by the Queensland Rugby League medical officer, Dr Keith Woodhead, at 8 am in Brisbane.

Conescu missed Brisbane's win over Manly yesterday because of a shoulder injury.

The squad goes into camp with coach Don Furner at the Camperdown Travelodge on Wednesday.

The team is:

G Jack; A Ettingshausen M O'Connor P Jackson T Currie; W Lewis (capt) P Sterling; W Pearce (vice-capt) W Fullerton Smith P Vautin S Backo G Conescu P Daley. Reserves: G Belcher R Lindner.

Dave Hadfield writes: Western Division came close to inflicting another embarrassment on Great Britain before going down 28-26 at Orange yesterday.

Apparently dead and buried at 26-10 with 20 minutes to go, the local forwards rallied strongly to give the Lions a fright.

Second-rower Michael Peachey struck twice within two minutes, scoring a try and making one for winger Wilfred Williams with a peculiar up-and-over pass. With two minutes to go, hulking centre Mark Smith powered over for a try which Robert Clark converted.

The tourists had looked well on the way to a comfortable win at half-time after tries from Paul Groves and Ellery Hanley, plus a goal from Andy Currier, had cancelled out two early penalties from Clark.

A remarkable try from Martin Offiah - his 17th of the tour - just after the break stretched the lead further. Offiah enjoys running across the park every bit as much as running forward and his devious route to the try line must have clocked up a good 120m. Currier kicked the goal and also improved his own try soon after.

But veteran country campaigner Neil Moy went over after good work from Rod Frail and Mal Fitzgerald. Although Offiah scored a second try, Britain's tackling near their line became fallible and they were lucky to escape with their win.

GREAT BRITAIN 28 (Martin Offiah 2, Paul Groves, Ellery Hanley, Andy Currier tries; Currier 4 goals) bt WESTERN DIVISION 26 (Steve Casey, Michael Peachey, Wilfred Williams, Mark Smith tries; Robert Clark 5 goals). Crowd: About 5,000. Referee: P Robinson.

*Papua New Guinea made a bright start to their four-match tour of New Zealand by thrashing Midlands 58-0 at Tokoroa.

Back  Back to Search Results

Advertise with Us | Fairfax Digital Privacy Policy | Conditions of Use | Member Agreement
© 2017 Fairfax Digital Australia & New Zealand Ltd.