News Store
Important notice to all NewStore users. The NewsStore service is now free! Please click here for more information. Help



Date: 09/07/1988
Words: 425
          Publication: Sun Herald
Section: Sport
Page: 64
HERE is a blow by blow description of yesterday's third Rugby League Test between Australia and Great Britain at Sydney Football Stadium.

5 MINS: Great Britain fullback Phil Ford scores what appears to be a fair try after Australian winger Tony Currie spills an Andy Gregory grubber. Referee Desplas disallows try.

13 MINS: After a series of Australian attacking raids, hooker Greg Conescu runs from dummy half and is held up over the British line.

16 MINS: Great Britain prop Kevin Ward draws two players, passes around the corner to halfback Gregory, who passes overhead for winger Martin Offiah to score wide out. Paul Loughlin's conversion unsuccessful - Great Britain 4-0.

21 MINS: From a standing start outside the Australian quarter, Ford slices through the defence to score near the posts. Loughlin converts. Great Britain 10-0.

33 MINS: Offiah loses the ball lunging for the Australian line.

34 MINS: After suffering a shoulder injury, Australian halfback Peter Sterling is replaced by Gary Belcher. Belcher goes onto the wing and Tony Currie moves to halfback.

35 MINS: Kevin Ward is held up over the Australian line after another good run by Ford.

42 MINS: Australian skipper Wally Lewis struggles through several tackles and while standing reaches out to score. O'Connor converts. Great Britain 10-6.

48 MINS: After feigning a field goal attempt, Andy Gregory puts through a grubber-kick for winger Henderson Gill to score. Loughlin converts. Great Britain 16-6.

61 MINS: Australian prop Sam Backo charges on to a pass from dummy half to score left of the uprights. O'Connor converts. Great Britain 16-12.

64 MINS: Loughlin runs from inside his own quarter past halfway before passing to Gill who scores wide out. Conversion unsuccessful. Great Britain 20-12.

71 MINS: After Australia bomb a good scoring opportunity, Andy Gregory makes a break and passes to second-rower Mike Gregory who sprints 70 metres to score under the posts. Conversion successful. Final score: Great Britain 26-12.

Back  Back to Search Results

Advertise with Us | Fairfax Digital Privacy Policy | Conditions of Use | Member Agreement
© 2017 Fairfax Digital Australia & New Zealand Ltd.