Newcastle Herald

Hunter heritage timeline is proud history of achievement

Author: GR
Date: 28/07/2012
Words: 361
Source: NCH
          Publication: Newcastle Herald
Section: Supplement
Page: 4
1800s

1877: First technical courses offered through Newcastle School of Arts including Elocution, Grammar, French and Mechanical Drawing.

1894: Building commenced on Newcastle Technical College and School of Mines, Hunter Street. Officially opened in 1896.

1900-1950s

1908: 742 enrolments including students undertaking Coal Mining and Mine Surveying classes.

1909: Maitland Technical College opened.

1919: Old brewery building on Wood Street in Newcastle taken over to train returned soldiers. Classes included Carpentry and Joinery, Plumbing, Sheet-metal Work and Patternmaking, Boilermaking, Bricklaying, Motor Mechanics, Moulding and Founding, Welding, Wood-working, Machinists and House Painting.

1920: 2000 enrolments. Increased demand in Mining and Electricity courses.

1930-1936: #85,000 donated by industry and citizens of Newcastle towards Tighes Hill campus development.

1938: First building on new Tighes Hill site, The Sir Edgeworth David Memorial Science Building officially opened 24 September.

1939-1945: During WWII a munitions annexe established to produce thousands of bren-gun tools.

1941: Students offered courses in shipbuilding, sheep and wool, bricklaying and woodworking machinery.

1951: Newcastle College of the New South Wales University of Technology was opened on 3 December, sharing the Tighes Hill site with Newcastle Technical College.

1951: 5000 enrolments.

1956: Cessnock Campus opens.

1960-1990s

1964: College credited with creating first Students' Union in NSW, enrolments reach 6000.

Late 1960s: 10,000 enrolments

Early 1970s: Classes in Commercial Cookery, Nursing, Language Laboratory, Library Practice and Colour Television Technicians offered.

1974: Technical and Further Education (TAFE) Act became effective. Change led to expansion of courses for all members of the community driving workforce participation.

1980: Newcastle Technical College first outside of Sydney to install word processing equipment to secretarial, business and administration studies students.

1980s: New campuses open at Glendale, Kurri Kurri, Hamilton and Metford.

1980s: Increased demand for technical training in mining, power generation and aluminium smelting.

1989: Newcastle Earthquake damaged many buildings at Newcastle, Hunter Street and Hamilton campuses.

1991-92: Newcastle Technical College became the Newcastle Campus of the Hunter Institute of Technology.

1996: Scone Campus opened focusing on rural and equine programs.

1996: 47,601 enrolments.

1998: Tomaree Education Centre opened.

1998: International student enrolments reach 14 countries.

1999: 50,387 enrolments.

2000s

2000: Hunter TAFE Foundation incorporated.

2006: Current Institute Director, Phil Cox, appointed.

2006: Children's Services Centre opens at Glendale Campus.

2010: Mining Skills Centre at the Muswellbrook Campus officially opened.

2010: Hunter Valley Hotel Academy built at Kurri Kurri campus.

2011: 62,000 enrolments.

2012: Hunter TAFE Alumni Association launched.

 
 
Fairfax Digital Privacy Policy | Conditions of Use | Member Agreement | Copyright